One easy way for consumers to ensure that they have access to clean and contaminant free water is to get a home water filter installed. Clean water is very important for children and expectant mothers – studies have confirmed that many of the contaminants present have caused birth defects as well as learning disabilities. Thanks to technological advances, there are quite a few good water filtration systems available on the market. Consumer Reports and other organizations have tested and certified these systems – so for those who are keen to get one, the best way is to check out information on the Internet. Installation can be done by the homeowner too; there are professional companies who can recommend and install the right one.
Installing Home Water Filters – Step by step instructions
There are different types of filters to choose from – whole house and specific faucets. Most people choose to get a filter and water softener installed for the whole house so that they are assured of water quality. A whole house water filter is installed on the main line that brings water into the house. Here’s how to do it:
- Draining the water lines: Water supply has to be turned off at the main intake line. The next step is to open faucets in the house and drain water out of the pipes to prevent leaks.
- Cutting the pipe: Once that has been done, choose a spot which is easily accessible, to install the filter. One can use the template that is a part of the installation kit to mark and cut the pipe and place the Filter. Filters have cartridges which are the main component for cleaning. These have to be replaced on a regular basis to maintain water quality. Use a pipe cutter to remove a section of the pipe.
- Attaching fittings: Use compression nuts and brass fittings which are threaded. Tighten fittings till they are securely fastened and snugly in place.
- Fixing filter in position: Check the intake and outflow valves on the filter and attach it accordingly. If by chance the filter gets wrongly installed, it will not work. Ensure that the intake valve is near the water meter and the outflow valve points in the direction of the water heater.
- Turning on the water: home water filters kit come equipped with a special handle which has to be used to turn the intake valve, which is on top of the filter. The positions are off, filter and bypass. With the valve in off position, turn the water on at the main intake and check for leaks. If there are no leaks, turn it on to the filter position and ensure that it is working properly. It is always a good idea to check for leaks to ensure that the unit is working properly.
Check to see if the filtration unit has any special features and that they are installed properly. Ask the technician to demonstrate how one should install new cartridges. Also read the manual and check to see how often the unit has to be serviced for optimal functioning.